Thursday, October 21, 2010

On Carmelo Anthony

For the past few months, probably the entire offseason, there's been a constant stream of rumors and stories about Carmelo Anthony, and his desire for a trade, and the Knicks. I've been rooting against that becoming a reality the whole time, alternatively wishing that the rumors would just go away or that Carmelo would just get traded to New Jersey. Part of it is because I just don't like Carmelo, and don't think he'll work on the Knicks, which goes back to what I was writing about yesterday. He isn't a good enough spot-up shooter for D'Antoni's style, and he doesn't play off the ball that well, and for D'Antoni the point guard dominates the ball. Besides, with Amare on the team, finding enough shots for both him and Carmelo to be productive will be a struggle. He doesn't defend well, and while the Knicks don't plan to be a defensive force, D'Antoni's Seven Seconds or Less depends at least in part on turnovers, which Carmelo doesn't create.

However, my biggest objection to Carmelo joining the Knicks is that it depends on Danilo Gallinari leaving. I'm not going to try to argue that Danilo is better than Carmelo. But he is younger, and there is every indication he can be as good, if not better, than Anthony. If nothing else, he's already a better defender; probably the most dependable man-to-man defender the Knicks have. He's been here for a while, is comfortable in the system, and by far a better fit for it. Yes, part of my response to this is emotional. I like Danilo and I dislike Carmelo. But I like to think that my like for Danilo comes from the enormous potential he shows, as well as how well he has played within the style the Knicks are trying to develop, and I like to think that my dislike for Carmelo comes out of doubts that he's as dominant a player as he's made out to be as well as because of Stop Snitching.

I will always root for the Knicks, but this next season will be much better--for me personally as well as on the court--if the Knicks stay away from Carmelo, and, more importantly, hang on to Danilo for as long as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment